Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE) Candidates Program
National Centers of Academic Excellence
The National Centers of Academic Excellence in Cybersecurity (NCAE-C) program is managed by the National Cryptologic School at the National Security Agency. The mission of the National Centers of Academic Excellence in Cybersecurity (NCAE) program is to create and manage a collaborative cybersecurity educational program with community colleges, colleges, and universities that:
- Includes competency development among students and faculty,
- Values community outreach and leadership in professional development,
- Integrates cybersecurity practice within the institution & across academic disciplines,
- Actively engages in solutions to challenges facing cybersecurity education.
CNRC Candidates Program
Whatcom Community College (WCC) has been selected by the National Security Agency (NSA) to lead efforts to improve and expand cybersecurity education nationwide as a Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE) National Resource Center (CNRC). In this role, Whatcom leads the CAE-CDE Candidates Program, guiding university and college administrators and faculty through the rigorous application for the CAE-CDE designation. All regionally accredited two-year, four-year, and graduate level institutions in the United States are eligible to apply.
The Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE) Program is currently undergoing a review and update of the application process. To learn more about the updated CAE application process and for more information on how to participate in the CNRC Candidates Program, please Click Here.
Official information about the NSA/DHS Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE) Program can be found on the National Information Assurance Education & Training Programs (NIETP) website: www.iad.gov/NIETP.
Note: Some internet browsers consider the security certificates used for the NIETP website invalid. Therefore individuals visiting the NIETP site may receive warnings stating that their connection to the site is not secure. Click here for instructions to access the NIETP website.
2020 CAE Virtual Workshop & Application Checklist
Updated CAE Application Checklist
All new and re-designating educational institutions interested in applying for the CAE-CDE designations must complete the online Applicant Checklist on the CAE Community website. The Application Checklist will guide the applicant through the new program requirements and provide a self-assessment of readiness. Once the results have been reviewed, your institution will be referred to Program Development or Application Assistance. The Application Checklist is available on the CAECommunity.org website.
How to get started: The Centers of Academic Excellence (CAE) National Resource Center (CNRC) at Whatcom Community College has released a virtual fast track CAE Designation Workshop. This workshop is designed for all regionally accredited U.S. colleges and universities interested in earning the Centers of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE-CDE) designation.
To access the virtual CAE Designation workshop video:
Program Development & Application Assistance
- Program Development - Applicants who are assessed to require more than one year to be ready for designation will be assigned to Program Development. In this phase, the applicant will have access to workshops, seminars and an advisor to help in their preparation for designation. Schools in this phase will also be invited to programs and events hosted by the CAE Community (caecommunity.org) and have access to other resources offered by the Program Office only for the CAE audience.
- Application Assistance - Applicants who are assessed to be within one year of readiness for designation will be placed in Application Assistance and be assigned a mentor. In this phase, the applicant will be invited to programs and events hosted by the CAE Community (caecommunity.org) and have access to other resources offered by the Program Office only for the CAE audience.
For more Information, please contact: [email protected]